- Government Services
- Public Works
- Snow Removal Information
Snow Removal Information
UPDATE (12/23/2020): The Town and Department of Public Works want to thank residents for assisting them in their recent snow removal efforts by relocating your vehicles from the roadways. Your help made their efforts much easier and efficient. In this cooperative spirit, it is being requested that your property snow blowing and shoveling be not directed back onto the roadways, but rather to a grassy area. We would appreciate this and all your continued help when the next snowfall comes our way.
Town of Mount Airy
If you have questions or concerns regarding snow removal within Town of Mount Airy limits, please use the form below to contact us and we will address as soon as possible.
Declaration of a Snow Emergency
- If the SHA and Carroll or Frederick County declare a show emergency regarding their roads in Mount Airy, then the Mayor will automatically do the same and declare a snow emergency throughout Mount Airy.
- Upon such a declaration, the Town Staff will cause notice to be given to the citizens by all means available and any other methods the Mayor deems necessary. This notice should outline street parking restrictions.
- Parking on Mount Airy streets are governed by 105-23 C (see below).
- The Mayor may exempt certain classes of vehicles as in his discretion where the parking restrictions are unreasonable.
Operations from Public Works perspective
- Salting begins as soon as the road /temp hits freezing, 6 trucks spread. Once salt will not keep the road clear, plowing begins.
- The Town of Mount Airy has 14 plow trucks, with 14 routes.
- The Town of Mount Airy will do their best to update the community on snow removal status via the Town's website and Facebook page.
- All communications from citizens regarding in-town snow removal should come through the form located on this page or at this link.
§ 105-23 Declaration; notice; parking restrictions; violations and penalties.
A. In the event that the State Highway Administration or the appropriate authorities of Carroll County or of Frederick County declare a snow emergency with respect to any roads or highways which traverse through the Town of Mount Airy or are located within 1/2 mile of the Town boundaries, then the Mayor of the Town of Mount Airy will automatically do the same and declare a snow emergency within the Town of Mount Airy. No additional notice to residents will be given.[Amended 1-3-2005 by Ord. No. 2005-1]
B. Upon such a declaration by the Mayor, the Mayor shall cause notice of the same to be given to all local radio stations, cable franchisees and the printed media. Notice of such declaration of snow emergencies shall also be posted in a conspicuous place at the Town Hall and at such other locations and shall be given by such other means as the Mayor may determine.
C. During the period of a snow emergency, any vehicle previously parked on a Town street shall be moved as promptly as possible to any available off-street parking available for the owner of the vehicle (driveways, parking pads and the like) and if none is available shall be moved to any public off-street parking area located within a reasonable distance. In the absence of both private and reasonably available public off-street parking, the owners shall park on nearby grass areas or sidewalks (but need not climb curbs to do so), and, if that is not feasible, then the vehicle must be parked so that the inner wheels are within six inches of the curb or edge of paving, as the case may be.
D. During the period of snow emergency, no vehicle shall be newly parked on any Town street except in conformity with the provisions of Subsection C.
E. Violation of this article shall be a municipal infraction, and the amount of the infraction fine assessed is $100. Evidence satisfactory to the trier of fact that any defendant proceeded against with respect to a violation of the parking provisions of this article either did not know or should not have known of the declaration of the snow emergency shall be a defense to any municipal infraction citation.
F. The Mayor is further authorized to exempt from the provisions of this article certain classes of vehicles such as emergency vehicles, vehicles with handicapped license tags and such other vehicles as in his discretion would render the application of this article unreasonable.