Message from Mayor Pat Rockinberg, "The Opioid crisis is a national epidemic. Governor Hogan has declared war on it and counties, cities and municipalities across the nation are going Purple for September to raise awareness. We have all been touched in some way. As a town I encourage us... to support this incentive to raise awareness."
What are we going to do the increase awareness? Beginning September 1st:
- Lighting up town-owned buildings in downtown Mount Airy
- Encouraging all town council members and town council meeting attendees to wear Purple at the September 9th meeting
- Hanging purple balloons on Main Street at 6:30 PM on September 9th and encourage the community to come help
- Posting signs around town to increase awareness of the crisis
- Encouraging businesses to decorate in purple in September, take pictures and post on social media using the hashtag #mountairygoespurple. Town Council will vote for the best decorated business at the October Town Council meeting.
Download the flyer
To find out other ways you can help raise awareness and save lives, click on the link below.